This site has moved! Old posts will remain here but new posts will be at www.embergrass.com/blog. Please go there to keep up with new content and re-subscribe!

Friday 18 March 2011

Studio Cat

Meet my cat, Hertz. We found him on the website for the local SPCA shelter and it was love at first sight - he was the only kitten mischievously trying to play with the camera! When we went down to check him out it turned out he was exactly what we were looking for; friendly, laid back and extremely playful. We brought him home the same day!

At the SFSPCA they have a personality chart for cats and a survey so you can find out which type would be suitable for you and your lifestyle. I decided almost immediately I was looking for a 'personal assistant':

You’re working on the computer? Let me press the keys. 
Reading the paper? I’ll hold the pages down for you. 
Watching TV? I’ll just plop in your lap so you can pet me. 
I love an orderly household, don’t you? I’ll help you with all your chores, and 
I’ll help you relax when we’re done. 
You’ll wonder how you ever managed without me.

Well we got one and the thing he most loves to help with is jewelry making. He holds the end of the wire for me, picks out the beads from my tray and slides my reels of chain and wire towards me when they're out of reach. He loves having his picture taken and he always tries to get in the shot when I photograph my jewelry. When he can't see any obvious way to help he likes to sit down right in the middle of my desk so he is ready when I need him again.


Do you have a studio pet too? Or do you prefer to work without 'help'? What do you do if you work with dangerous equipment or chemicals? I have to shut Hertz out of the room when I'm using my blowtorch because he tries to help with that too :S

2 comments: