This site has moved! Old posts will remain here but new posts will be at www.embergrass.com/blog. Please go there to keep up with new content and re-subscribe!

Saturday 20 March 2010

Butterflies Butterflies Butterflies!

I have a little bit of a thing for butterflies; they're so pretty!! So it was only a matter of time before I made a butterfly blog post...

It has turned out to be quite a long post (and I had to cut stuff out!) but I trust you will stay with me because the butterflies really are so pretty :)

I didn't actually realise how strong my affinity for butterflies was until I started planning my wedding. Initially I was adamant that I did not want a theme of any kind as that would be far too cheesy. Eventually, after trying out many different ideas and styles for my (hand-made-by-me) invitations I settled on one with a large butterfly on the front. Shortly afterward I discovered some beautiful glitter and feather butterflies which I decided would make great table decorations and the theme was born!

Now I have embraced the theme to the extent where I have made butterfly jewelry to wear (future blog post to follow on my wedding jewelry) and butterfly place settings and cake decorations. It was this theme that gave me the idea to make this blog post...

SOME HANDMADE ITEMS:


Vintage butterfly charm bracelet from Charmed Memory on Etsy


 Sea glass butterfly from Mermaids Tears Jewelry on Etsy




 Such detail on this butterfly necklace from Glowing Glass Studio


 and so many beautiful colours on this butterfly pendant from Nix Creations made on a domino tile!

 Down to earth butterfly necklace from violet bella

SOME OF THE BUTTERFLY JEWELRY I HAVE COLLECTED:

When I started writing this post I immediately decided to scour my jewelry collection for any items with butterflies on, knowing I already had a few.

However, I was quite surprised at just how many items I managed to find. In the end I had to leave out a few, like a pair of black earrings, very similar to the ones on the right, which I bought to replace them when I thought I had lost them.

I have had most of these items for so long I can't even remember where I bought them from. I'm fairly sure the black earrings top left are from Claire's Accessories but I would only be able to guess at the other two.





<This green butterfly necklace I inherited from my grandma. Clearly a love of butterflies must run in the family!







BUTTERFLY JEWELRY I HAVE MADE:

< this very simple necklace I made for myself using a butterfly charm, a metal ring and some black waxed cord.

This blue butterfly on the right will one day be a hair clip but for the moment it decorates my desk until I get around to fixing it onto a clip.


You can see a pair of butterfly earrings I made for my wedding in my previous blog post "What I made with my purchases" but so far none of my butterfly jewelry is for sale. I will be working on some more for sale very shortly and I'll post again when they're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment